As an outdoor sport, rowing requires special attention to the clothing you wear. A few things to consider:
1. Socks: Nice wooly socks are a must. There are shoes inside the boats – often very large shoes, sometimes damp.
2. Stretchy, tight clothing with no zippers: Thumbs get caught in loose clothes, pockets and zippers. In rowing, Spandex is your friend.
3. Visibility: We row on the ocean with boat traffic and float planes sharing the space. Neon hats and tops are a must!
4. Layers: You might be cool when you start, but that doesn’t last long. Be prepared to strip off some layers.
5. Hats: The brim of your ball cap is your best friend for reducing glare and keeping some sun off your face.
6. Pogies: On cold winter days, pogies keep your hands warm.
Maple Bay’s uniforms are available from Row West. Anyone who is racing needs to purchase a racing top at the minimum.